Week 2 Story -- The Planet Killers

Note: My edited version of this story is up in my new portfolio Tales from a Mythological Presence. Go ahead and check it out! 

Setting: A barren, brown planet covered by fire.

          A select group of individuals stand crowded on a rocky formation crying out for help. All of the sudden, they see a giant mass zooming towards them. It is another planet, but this one is green and beautiful. A land bridge extends outward and the people climb onto it. There were no questions asked. The planet returns to its' natural location and continues its' rotation as if nothing had ever happened.
         Years continue on and the planet stills rests peacefully in its' location. Slowly the surface begins to change. Fire starts to spring up, but the planet remains sleeping. The people had the trust of the planet and so it slept on. Over a period of months, the planet starts to die, but by this point it is too late for this planet. The trust that it instilled had been its' downfall. Again, the people start crying out for help as fire rages around them on this now dead mass. They had drained it of its' natural resources and poisoned its' soil...

(Image Information: Planet dying and being covered in fire; photo by photoshopper24; Source: pixabay)

            As they stood there crying out, another planet heard them. This planet also came to help these individuals. This was the normal behavior of planets. When they would hear the cry of something in desperate need of help, they would come. They never knew who or what they would pick up or what would happen. Even though these planets are sentient, they can't communicate. They cannot express joy, anger, pain or sadness. Very rarely did these planets feel as if they were angry. 
        As time continued on, this same group of people kept jumping from planet to planet leaving the last one dead and on fire. They were planet killers. A small breed, but a powerful one. Eventually planets started to fear them. They knew of their brethren dying, but there was nothing they could do besides deny their nature. The same process had continued as earlier. The planet killers had killed yet another planet, but this time a planet didn't come at the sound of their cries.  
        At the realization that a planet wasn't coming, the planet killers became truly scared. Blood-curdling screams filled the air, but still a planet would not come to save them. Eventually the fire over took them, but it did not kill them like one expects. To the dismay of all the planets, these things lived on. They transformed over time and sustained themselves on the fiery soil. 


...They were made to live in their own fiery hell as other planets were only a blink away.  

Author's note: I based my story off of "The Cunning Crane and the Crab." I used the concept that instead of the group of fish, or in my case people, being vulnerable, that they would be the evil one and the planet, or crane, would be the innocent one. Eventually knowing the tricks of the people, the planets decide to stop helping, effectively cutting the head off of the people. 

Bibliography: The Cunning Crane and the Crab from The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse

Comments

  1. Hi Corona,

    Your story was so intriguing. It was interesting to see the way you twisted it around. I truly enjoyed reading your story because it taught me a new way of story telling. I am wondering where you got your idea from. Funny enough, it reminded me of how people do not recycle enough and mistreat the planet. That quite honestly results in the planet really giving up on us! I also love how your blog is displayed. It is so colorful, bright, and inviting. I really enjoyed reading your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corona~
    This story was a trip. As an environment major the setting of a barren, brown planet already got my attention! This story scared me a little, before I knew what was going on I was getting some serious this is going to be our near future vibes. It took me a while to realize what was happening, the image in the middle made me think the story was already ending. Maybe putting it on top could've been a good place for it-really set the stage right off the bat.
    I had a little bit of a struggle with the third paragraph just because when I read I sometimes glaze over background details. Perhaps you could tweak some of the wording to keep it all flowing.
    I was not expecting that reveal at the ending. Great job keeping me in suspense and wondering what was going to happen next!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So that was an interesting read. What intrigues me the most is the twist of making the ‘evil’ character into the ‘good’ character. Of course, this was a totally different approach by all means, but still that twist. I feel like that’s a sad ending but I’m also not so sure that it is? I wonder how many more human aspects a planet can have?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment