Storybook Favorites - Sherlock Holmes, Sita's Soul, and Ganesha: The Elephant-Headed God

Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Missing River 
     
        One of  my favorite storybooks so far has been "The Mystery of the Missing River." I like it, not so much for its' structure, but for the mystery and the connection that I already have to watching Sherlock Holmes movies and owning the books. One big critique that I have is that the sentences are not fluid, but choppy. It seems that some words were not necessary because they were already brought up in the text and already the center of attention. Even though this bothers me, I found quite a few formatting techniques that I liked, such as the way it was set-up as if it were a journal entry and how the author included notes to further pull the reader into the story. Overall, the story was okay, but I believe that the name of the story should have been "Sita," not "Missing River." Even though you find out the reason in the end, it isn't an entirely fitting title.

Sita's Soul

         Another favorite storybook of mine would be "Sita's Soul." Firstly, it is an interesting story. Secondly, it has the same theme as the Sherlock Holmes story that I read just before. I love stories that have the same connecting theme. Even though I do like it, there is still the same issue that was shown in the Sherlock Holmes story and that is that it wasn't proofread beforehand. It is not as choppy as the last story, but it doesn't have the good flow that is required when reading a story. The formation of this story is much more enjoyable to me in regards to Sita than the last story I read. Even though they are different and supposed to be different, I think that this story would be good to have attached to "Sherlock Holmes: The Mystery of the Missing River" because this story actually has a breakdown of who is who in the author's notes.

(Image Information: Image of Rama and Sita; Source:Festivals of India)


          My third and final favorite storybook is "Ganesha: The Elephant-Headed God." I tried to tie all my favorite stories together with common characters because it is pleasing to me and makes them more enjoyable because they gave background to each other for me when I read them. One issue in this story was that the tenses changed from past to present and vice versa in the same sentence. I enjoyed how it was set-up kind of like a diary and Ganesha sounds kind of like a teenager. The title fits in perfectly with the subject of the blog because it is literally just about Ganesha. 

(Image Information: Ganesha riding his mount (a mouse); Source: Wikipedia)

Overall, I enjoyed all three of these storybooks and look forward to reading more. I enjoyed the format of each, but also realized how much proof reading needs to be done before submitting it online. I also noticed the flow of the stories needs to be better and I will definitely keep that in mind while writing. 

Comments