Week Three Story - The Call-In of a Lifetime

*Setting: radio booth with two men inside. They are in Los Angeles, California. The two men do a radio show about weird occurrences and scary stories.*

First DJ: "This iiiiiiiissssss DJ Rami!"

Second DJ: "And your other host DJ Traviiiiiiii!"
                   "Now for our first caller!"

First Caller: "Um, yes.....hi."

DJ Travi: "Anything interesting for us caller?"

First Caller: "Ummmm, wellll…"

DJ Rami: "Boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing." *Rami yawns*

*Rami hangs up the phone and answers the next call*

DJ Rami: "Helllllllllllooooooooooo next caller."

Second Caller: "Hello, I have a story."

DJ Travi: "OOOOO yes! Tell us the gritty details."

*The voice over the phone becomes darker and kind of coarse.*

Caller: "You want a gritty story, huh? I may have a perfect one for you."

DJ Rami: "Goodie!"
  
Caller: "It was years ago...."

DJ Rami and Travi: "oooooooooo…"

Caller: "Let me continue...It was years ago and a few of my buddies and I were traveling. We went from continent to continent, country to country, state to state and city to city. We went to remote parts of deserts and jungles."

DJ Travi: "Is this going to be something that ends up totally boring and not at all creepy or odd?"

Caller: "Like I said, let me finish."

*DJ Travi starts to hang up the phone*

Caller: "Do NOT hang up on me."

*Travi freezes*

Caller: "Now like I said, we traveled to many areas that were not accessible by easy transportation. We used boats, hiked, climbed and all sorts of methods that you could only dream of. Well, in one particular part of the world there are beautiful cannibals."

Rami: "Hold up, cannibals? Like, they actually still exist?"

Caller: "Indeed, actually in many places. They were the most beautiful cannibals and, to put it simply, they tricked us. Beautiful as they were, we had no idea what was going on. That was until we found one of their victims. He was still alive. He had escaped and begged us to come with him. Some believed him and some did not. I believed him because everything sounded too odd."

DJ Travi: "Of course it was odd! How could you not know that they were frickin' human eaters?!"

Caller: "Listen, I don't have much time to talk. In fact, we are still in the jungle."

*static over phone and the caller becomes panicked*

DJ Rami: "You are STILL in the jungle?? Wow, great cell service."

Caller: "Listen you imbeciles! I don't have much...…"

*The caller's voice is gone. There was no scream and no sound of his voice again. All that could be heard was shallow breathing and a distant cackle*

DJ Rami: "Weeeeeeellllllllllll, that was certainly odd. Anyways I guess now is as good a time to end the show for today than ever! This is DJ Rami.....AND Travi signing off! Peace out girl scouts!"


(Image Information: Cannibalism on Tanna: Source: Wiki)

Source: Goblin City, The Giant Crab, and Other Tales from Old India by W. H. D. Rouse.

Author's Note: I read the Goblin City and liked it quite a bit. I took the concept of eating humans and rolled it into a cannibalism perspective, but where the individuals don't get out of the forest. The ones who decided to run end up getting caught by the cannibals and are never heard from again. The concept of the call in was over a walkie and it was the only method they could use because it was the only channel they could use. The speaker thought he had more time to talk, but noticed that in the middle of his story that they were being watched by the cannibals because they were found. He told it in a story fashion to make light of the situation and to better deal with it during the time. 

Comments

  1. My story retelling was also set in modern LA so I thought that was automatically a cool start..:) I thought this was a fun twist, it was a lot of dialogue but I think that is how radio shows are so it actually fits well. While for some stories, having to read more to know more information can derail it, I think in this case it actually help build the suspense and mysteriousness. I really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Corona,
    I really liked the idea of using dialogue for the entire story. It made it seem more like a show and made me forget that I was even reading. I am not completely sure if you mentioned this in your author's notes, but why exactly did the caller call that particular radio show? It seemed like a very life-death situation, so I feel like he would have called some better reinforcements. Other than my sheer curious, I really enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Corona, I really liked the retell of your story. It seemed so intense and dark which I enjoyed. Mostly because it was using dialogue which made it more suspenseful. I like how you added a twist towards the end about cannibals. I did not expect this caller would be talking about cannibals existing and being a victim. I am curious, why would this caller call a radio station and not seek for real help? How did he know to call this radio station or knew that the radio guy would’ve hung up? If this guy knows he is being watched or possibly eaten, shouldn’t he be trying to escape or call for help? Maybe in the future, you could be more specific of his whereabouts, so his call would not have been a waste! I wished the caller told him where he was exactly traveling and located so could get help. But this was a really good story with great dialogue.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment