Reading Notes - Sita Sings the Blues


(Image Information: Sita Sings the Blues; Source: Wiki)

-First of all, I just want to say that the animated video of Sita Sings the Blues is amazing. I love animated movies and I love the switch between the different types of animation. Also, I LOVE the music genre.

-Opens with a couple living in San Francisco (Is this supposed to be like a modern day Rama and Sita?)

-Differences I had noticed first were the mention of Rama's other two brothers, besides Lakshmana and also the mention of an additional wife.

-Also, the names of the sons were spelled differently, or at least in Lakshmana's case (Laxman).

-I noticed that Lakshmana did not request to go with Rama and Sita when they were still in Ayodhya or even at all.

-Towards the end of reading the Ramayana in the public domain, I became mad at how Sita was treated by Rama. When I watched Sita Sings the Blues, right before she gets taken, I am overcome with that bit of anger again because not only do others view her as needing to be completely obedient to her husband, but she also does as well. I understand being loyal and helping, but it seemed as if she could not live without him. Also, they talk about how she looks and composes herself and (in the public domain) how valued by her father she was, wouldn't this lead to a stronger Sita?

-Hanuman is an incarnation of Shiva

-Sita says that she is pregnant before she leaves

-Lakshmana is not mentioned until the end and it is when he banishes Sita

-Sita is taken back into Mother Earth's womb and Rama cries

-The video ends in New York with the opening woman coming home to a cat and in the end she is reading the Ramayana

While I did find the video to be very entertaining and well made, there were still quite a few elements missing from the story. Also, in this video it is majorly pressed that Sita cannot live without Rama when it doesn't even talk about how they met and how he won her hand. Overall, good video, but lacking in more important content.

BibliographyYouTube  by Question Copyright

Comments